Hours of Operation: 9am-12:30pm PST Monday-Friday Meeting ID: 935 1656 1203 Our actual office in GMCS-209 is open every day now 12:30-4:30pm.
SDSU offers the ACS-accredited bachelor's degree.
- The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is searching for a new Computational Physical Chemistry faculty member.
- Undergraduate chemistry major Savannah Orth, mentored by Prof. Chris Harrison, and undergraduate biochemistry major Heather Thorogood, mentored by Prof. Erica Forsberg, both received awards for their poster presentations at the 2021 SACNAS National Diversity in STEM Conference last week.
- Check out the AZTEC Advancing Zero-fossil Technologies for Engineered Carbon Big Ideas website and video, featuring our own Profs. Doug Grotjahn, Jing Gu, Greg Holland, and John Love!
- Read about the collaboration between Prof. David Pullman and physicist Prof. Matt Anderson to develop new a spectroscopic tool for the early detection of oil spills. This story was then picked up by ABC News!
- Check out the new Chem Grad Student Association website!
- Please join the Department faculty in contributing to the Dr. Joi Weeks Endowed Scholarship to support African American students pursuing degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry.
|Jan 28||Dept. Seminar – faculty search, , GMCS-301, 4:00 PM|
|Feb 04||Dept. Seminar – faculty search, , GMCS-301, 4:00 PM|
|Feb 11||Dept. Seminar – faculty search, , GMCS-301, 4:00 PM|
|Mar 04||Dept. Seminar – Prof. Thomas Tomasiak, University of Arizona, Zoom, 4:00 PM|
|Mar 11||Dept. Seminar – Prof. Amarnath Natarajan, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Zoom, 4:00 PM|
|Mar 18||Dept. Seminar – none, , GMCS-301, 4:00 PM|
Interim Chair: Andrew Cooksy
Undergraduate Advisor: Peter van der Geer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Advisor: Thomas Cole, email@example.com
Graduate Admissions: Douglas Grotjahn, firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Inquiries: email@example.com
Faculty and Advisor Office Hours (download Adobe Reader)
Recent donors to SDSU Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Mr. Jay Breaux
- Richard L. Jenkins, Ph.D.
- BlueDoor LLC
Main Office: GMCS 209 • 5500 Campanile Drive • San Diego, CA 92182-1030 (U.S.A.) • Phone: (619) 594-5595 • Fax: (619) 594-4634
Statement on Systemic Racism
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at San Diego State University speaks out with outrage and sadness against the systemic racism plaguing our nation, leading most recently to the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade and other African Americans. We condemn the many actions of violence and hate inflicted upon African Americans that have not been filmed or publicized. We denounce the systemic racism that manifests routinely in the lives of our students in acts of discrimination, microaggression, stereotype threat, and marginalization, and other harmful and humiliating actions.
We stand in support of our African American students. We stand in support of our Latinx students, our Native American students, any students of color, our LGBTQ+ students, our differently-abled students, our veterans, our first-generation students, and for all groups marginalized in our society.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry will show our support in our actions. We commit to providing space to amplify their voices, and to being active allies. We commit to making our places of learning inclusive, safe, and fertile for fostering their success. We commit to standing up against discrimination in our classrooms, in our labs, and at San Diego State at large. We know that by supporting and empowering our diverse student body, we enrich our academic excellence, innovation, and success. #BlackLivesMatter