Job, Internship, and Scholarship Opportunities in Chemistry and Biochemistry
To list a job or internship postion on this page, please email flyers/announcements directly to the web editor; please include an estimate how long you would like the posting to appear.
Disclaimer: These announcements are provided by sponsors not affiliated with SDSU. SDSU and the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry are not responsible for and cannot answer questions about the content of these announcments.
BroadPharm Office Associate
BroadPharm is a customer focused R&D company in San Diego which specializes in chemistry service and PEG product sale worldwide. We are seeking a highly motivated secretary for office support
- Assist manager registering company biochemical products into database, update excel & other files for promotional material.
- Set up and maintain paper and electronic systems for records, correspondence and other material. Make copies of correspondence and other printed material.
- Locate and attach appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring replies.
- Greet callers, handle their inquiries, and direct them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Provide services to customers, such as order placement and account information.
- Assist product shipping to clients.
- Assist internal manager and staff purchasing office and lab supplies.
- Bachelor degree in organic chemistry is needed.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills.
- Maintain a professional, positive and enthusiastic demeanor when communicating with clients and internal staff.
BroadPharm is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing and leveraging diverse backgrounds. Interested candidates please send a copy of your CV to Broadcom .
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Safety Data Specialist at MilliporeSigma
The Safety Data Specialist supports EMD Millipore Corporation by completing the data mining of chemical formulations required to support GHS hazard assessments.
The right candidate will have experience providing regulatory support for both internal and external customers, and is comfortable working closely with internal Operations, Quality, Product Management, and Project Management teams. We are looking for an individual with 1-3 years of experience in the Regulatory, Product Stewardship or EH&S field, with an emphasis on hazard communication requirements. The preferred candidate will also demonstrate excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills and will be able to multi-task in a fast-paced office environment. This position will ensure that we continue to meet current and future product regulatory compliance requirements including the implementation of the Globally Harmonized System for the Classification and Labeling of Hazardous Chemicals.
Essential responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Data mine the chemical formulation of products to support GHS hazard assessments for Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and labels for the company.s commercial and experimental products in compliance with applicable hazard communication regulations.
- Communicate with various departments to ensure detailed compositional and physical property data needed for the product.s hazard assessment are provided. Gather and review raw material health, safety, and regulatory data.
- Examine product formulation and documentation necessary for proper hazardous characterization
- Partner with toxicologist and other regulatory personnel to apply product safety and compliance information to ensure product.s hazards are adequately evaluated and addressed on the SDS and labels.
- Provide accurate and timely information to internal and external customers
- Create and maintain product regulatory reports and documentation as required.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Toxicology, Chemistry, Biology or other life sciences and a minimum of 1-3 years. experience with MSDS and label authoring
- Knowledge of SAP EHS Module preferred
- Excellent Microsoft suite skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team atmosphere and to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to learn complex databases;
- Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on multiple assignments concurrently
- Requires strong analytical skills and ability to accurately manage large amounts of detailed information
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship
The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was created to attract outstanding students to pursue careers in mathematics, engineering, and the natural sciences.
The scholarship provides up to $7,500 annually for educational expenses to current sophomores and juniors who have demonstrated potential and commitment to a career in mathematics, engineering and the natural sciences and have an outstanding academic record. It is expected that Goldwater scholars will pursue advanced degrees.
Sophomore recipients receive two years of support; juniors receive one year of support.
Prospective applicants must be nominated by SDSU and schedule a meeting with Michelle Lopez asap to discuss the application timeline.
SDSU Campus Deadline: January 18, 2015.
SDSU Goldwater Representative: Michelle Lopez.
UNCF/Merck Science Initiative Scholarships & Fellowships Announcement
Science Scholarships and Fellowships The UNCF Merck Science Initiative is an innovative approach that creates opportunities in the biological, chemical and engineeringsciences for African American students throughout the country.
UNDERGRADUATE Science Research Scholarships
- Scholarships up to $25,000
- Internship opportunities
- Mentoring and networking opportunities
- Eligibility: College juniors, science or engineering majors, 3.3 GPA
GRADUATE Science Research Dissertation Fellowships
- Fellowships up to $53,500
- Mentoring and networking opportunities
- Eligibility: Ph.D. or equivalent degree candidates engaged in dissertation research in the biological, chemical or engineering fields
POSTDOCTORAL Science Research Fellowships
- Fellowships up to $92,000
- Mentoring and networking opportunities
- Eligibility: Ph.D. or equivalent degree recipients in the biological, chemical or engineering fields
APPLY ON-LINE. (See organization's website for deadlines)
SCI Scholars--Summer Internships for Undergraduates
The summer internship program, SCI Scholars, is an ongoing program for chemistry and chemical engineering undergraduates.
The program is a joint effort of the Society of Chemical Industry (SCI) America International Group, the American Chemical Society (ACS), and the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), and was developed to introduce chemistry and chemical engineering students to careers in the chemical industry.
Exceptional sophomores and juniors with a GPA of at least 3.5 and who are majoring in chemistry or chemical engineering are encouraged to apply.
- SCI Scholars receive $6,000-$10,000+ for a ten-week internship.
- Students will be awarded a certificate and an additional $1,000, which can be used for any purpose, such as participation at an ACS or AIChE meeting.
- Scholars nominate a high school chemistry teacher for recognition. Teachers will be awarded a certificate from SCI and $1,000, which can be used for professional development or classroom materials.
- (See organization's website for deadlines)
- Interested students should visit www.acs.org/sci to fill out an application and get more information.
NRC Research Associateship Programs
The National Research Council of the National Academies sponsors a number of awards for graduate, postdoctoral and senior researchers at federal laboratories and affiliated institutions. These awards include generous stipends ranging from $42,000 - $75,000 per year for recent Ph.D. recipients, and higher for additional experience. Graduate entry level stipends begin at $30,000. These awards provide the opportunity for recipients to do independent research in some of the best-equipped and staffed laboratories in the U.S. Research opportunities are open to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and for some of the laboratories, foreign nationals.
Detailed program information, including online applications, instructions on how to apply and a list of participating laboratories, is available on the NRC Research Associateship Programs website.
Questions should be directed to the NRC at 202-334-2760 (phone) or email@example.com.
There are four review cycles annually. Upcoming deadlines are:
- February 1, 2017
- May 1, 2017
Applicants should contact prospective Adviser(s) at the lab(s) prior to the application deadline to discuss their research interests and funding opportunities.
Aerotek is the largest privately held staffing firm in the nation. We partner with companies to assist them with their hiring needs. We in the Scientific Division partner with roughly 70 different Scientific Companies in the San Diego area. We do have direct relationships with the hiring managers at these companies so we can definitely connect great candidates with them and assist them along the way of the interview process. We also have more than just contract assignments. The majority of the positions we are asked to assist with are either Contract-to-Hire or Direct Placement opportunities. Finally, we are a completely free resource for individuals. Nothing will ever be taken out of their check and they will never be charged for using our service. Interested and qualified applicants are invited to contact Chelsea Ciaverelli , Scientific Recruiter for Aerotek.
Anyone interested in applying for a tutor position should submit their application and unofficial transcript at our website. Please see the below list for more information.
Why Work For Frog Tutoring?
- Great Pay
- Tutors will choose which grade levels and subjects to tutor.
- Tutors will create their own work schedule.
- Tutors can work as many hours as they like.
- Driving Compensation: Depending on the distance, tutors will be compensated for driving over a certain mileage.
- Bonuses: Tutors who constantly receive high tutor rankings will be eligible for periodic bonuses.
- Incentives & Acknowledgement - (Hard work does not go unnoticed!!!)
The Online Resources for Career Planning page includes internship listings.
Knowles Science Teaching Foundation Scholarships
Provides yearly tuition assistance and a monthly stipend while you student teach. See the KSTF web page for further information.